Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who are we?
We are a group of experienced GPs, along with a team of top lawyers and medico-legal experts who have come together to provide help, support, expert medical and legal advice to General Practitioners (GPs).
We understand the challenges faced by GPs on a day to day basis and can help members reduce risk and respond efficiently to any professional difficulties that arise. Our priority is to provide our members throughout the UK, Scotland and the Channel Islands, including the Isle of Man, with access to top quality, personalised service at a competitive price.
Q. What kind of membership do we offer?
We provide discretionary indemnity on an occurrence-based model for our members. Members should feel safe that on retirement and/or death, they and their estates will be protected.
Q. How are we different from the other MDOs?
The key differences are:
- We only provide membership for GPs. This allows us to offer more competitive rates as we don’t have the increased frequency and size of claims compared to our secondary care colleagues.
- The Medical Defense Society team brings on board a wealth of knowledge combining experience from various disciplines including risk, underwriting and medico-legal experts.
- Medical Defense Society is responding to a critical need to help fellow GPs with the significant increases in subscriptions pushed through by a range of factors. We passionately believe that more competition in the market can only help GPs.
Q. What is the structure of Medical Defense Society?
We are structured in the same way as the other Medical Defence Organisations. We are a mutual organisation and therefore have no shareholders. All our profits are reinvested back into the business ensuring our members get the most value out of their membership.
Q. What else can I expect from Medical Defense Society?
On joining Medical Defense Society, members get immediate access to advice from a team of GPs and lawyers who are experts in the legal aspects of medicine. We provide:
- Professional Medical Indemnity*
- Specialist Medical legal advice and representation
- Telephone advisory service, available 24/7 – 365 days a year
- Support and advice with various HR and employment issues
- High quality service for all members
We are here for you – all the way through!
Q. Do you provide membership for GPs working from abroad?
Yes – we provide membership both for NHS GPs working from abroad and for private GPs where the ‘working from abroad’ arrangement has been agreed and properly set up with the company/corporation the GP works for.
Q. Do I have to take an annual membership?
Q. What if my hours or work pattern change?
Q. What does 'averge weekly hours' in my quote / certificate mean?
Q. What is the level of your membership?
The indemnity provided by Medical Defense Society satisfies the NHS England requirement that “all GPs on the England National Performers List are insured to have a minimum personal liability cover of £10 million”.
Q. How can I pay?
You can pay by monthly direct debit or by bank transfer. There is no difference in cost either way.